RIBA 2022 London Awards Winners: my opinion on a few

 RIBA 2022 London Awards Winners: my opinion on a few


On the 5th of May RIBA announced the London Award Winners. I think there is some spectacular architecture being designed and constructed at the moment with some of the most innovative architects being located in London. As a first year architect I believe it is imperative that I look at the current architecture being constructed in one of the most diversely architectural cities in the world. It was a list of 42 buildings with a huge range of buildings including schools and council housing. I have selected 4 buildings to comment on in two separate posts  some of which I had looked at before when they had first been written about.

Plumstead Centre by Hawkins\Brown

This a very impressive building is located in Greenwich. It is a centre for the public to use that contains two libraries one for adults and one for kids, as well as a gym and a badminton court. There is also a cafe and two large studios for people to use for yoga and other activities. I believe this building is a great use of an already built building. I massively support this and think this is a way forward into the future of
architecture. I think the renovation of buildings is very important and also creates beautiful architecture. Formally a library the building has large double glazing windows that allows a lot of light in. What do I like? Firstly the choice of materials I believe is excellent. I love the choice of stone as well as glass. The wood choice for the interior makes it look very elegant and inviting. I love how they can see into the building and see what is going on which is very important to advertise the function of the building.

Yorkton Workshops by Cassion Castle Architects and Pearson Lloyd

This is a building that I had seen before and was intrigued by. Designed for Pearson Lloyd this studio is for product design. Again another project which reused buildings that had been constructed. It contains workshops, meeting rooms along with areas for events and exhibiting. I like the fact that although it was already workshops that they have renovated and added to. It's nice that they kept the use of it similar to it's previous use. For me again it's how they have used the previous walls but added to it to make slick entrance halls as well as the exhibition centre being very nice. The lighting through out the building creates very bright areas for the workshop. I also like how they have used some skylights to bring in light to darker areas.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Climate change and architecture

Week 6: The Architecture of Ancient Greece and Rome

Gender and Identity: Does space have gender or sexual identity.